North Fork Valley
A unique Colorado vacation
The diversity of attractions in the area offers opportunities for many enjoyable days. Whether the outdoors activities or visiting our local wineries, organic farms, artist hubs or enjoying a meal at one of our area’s restaurants, your day will be filled with pleasure and beauty.
North Fork Valley Vineyards and Wineries
- Rent a regular or electric bike at the Circe Cyclery and ride the mountain trails for an unforgettable day! (970) 527-2221
- The Western Slope SUP is a stand up paddle board shop in Hotchkiss whose staff guide float trips on the Gunnison River and teach lessons at Crawford Reservoir. Info@westernslopesup.com
- The North Fork Riding School offers riding lessons, trail rides and mountain tours! (970) 527-4385
- The KVNF – Local Calendar of events is the most valuable resource for local activities and events.
- These wonderful local attractions, along with our area attractions, make the North Fork Valley a Colorado vacation destination.
Montrose Ute Museum
- The Ute Indians inhabited North Fork Valley. A forty-five minute drive from our Paonia bed and breakfast will take you to the Montrose Ute Museum, where you can see artifacts and find information on the history of the native tribe.
- Delta County, and our valley in particular, is an important agricultural center for the state of Colorado. The County provides 71% of the cherries, 77% of the apples and 53% of the pears produced in Colorado, and has the 2nd largest grape and 2nd largest peach harvest in Colorado! As such, Paonia is a great destination for agritourism vacations. A list of the local organic farmers and related events is available through the Valley Organic Growers Association (VOGA)
North Fork Valley Health and Wellness
- There is something special about the energy of our valley. It is soft, gentle and healing. Maybe that is what attracts a diverse group of practitioners.
- Yogatree in Hotchkiss offers Asana classes in the IYENGAR tradition. There are numerous yoga teachers and practitioners in Paonia, and some of them offer small group classes for our guests at the Agape lawn or the forested area.
- Lazaros has a unique gift of helping others through seemingly impossible life situations. He is a humble international teacher of spirit-guided practices. He offers remote sessions and occasionally hosts workshops in Paonia teaching a process that transmutes suffering into higher states of being. You can contact him here.
North Fork Valley Creative District
- Artists abound in our community. The North Fork Valley Creative District is one of twelve creative districts in Colorado that have been certified by the Colorado Creative Industries. The North Fork Valley Creative Coalition, a Colorado nonprofit that manages the North Fork Valley Creative District, offers information, links and a directory of local artists. Its mission is to create a strong, balanced economy through our creative sector.
- The Blue Sage Center of the Arts in Paonia offers a continuous display of local art, as does the Creamery Arts Center In Hotchkiss. The Eccentric Artist Gallery offers beautiful unique art pieces, and our Paradise Theater hosts local plays and events.
Where to eat in Hotchkiss and Paonia
- In Hotchkiss, PJ’s Neighborhood Pub offers a wonderful menu, beautiful ambiance and a great bar. Zacks BBQ is as good as any Texas BBQ spot with great homemade pies. Pat’s Bar and Grill is a very quaint restaurant with great food and outdoor sitting. Stop by Taco Hut to taste their delicious Mexican food.
- Paonia offers a diverse mix of culinary spots all located in the three-square block area of downtown.
Wonderful Italian dinners are served at the Flying Fork Café & Bakery. The Living Farm Café is a true farm to table restaurant serving open for breakfast lunch and dinner. Louie’s Pizza is open for lunch and dinner and tops any New York pizza you ever had. Louie hosts music nights and has a wine bar. Sol Margueritas is the town’s wonderful Mexican lunch and dinner spot.
Backcountry bistro is a quaint and beautiful local hangout open daily with great coffees and a delicious diversified menu. The Circe Cyclery is a very cool hangout with a mix of sub-stores, one of them being the Remedy Juice Bar Café serving organic cold pressed juices, smoothies and more.
Revolution brewing is the local microbrewery – not to be missed for its local flavor and great brews! Lizzy’s Market offers fabulous local delicacies, wild game and prepared foods.
Off highway 133 you will find Big B’s Delicious orchards with its wonderful store, café and tasting room. The Snowdogs restaurant serves Chicago-style hot dogs, Italian beef and Polish sausage, and much more.
Local annual events
- The Paonia Chamber of Commerce offers current information on all local annual events. The 4th of July parade and Cherry Days Festival is a longstanding tradition in Paonia as is the Mountain Harvest Festival.
- The BMWTOR – Top O’ The Rockies – rally is an annual Paonia event that takes place at the town park.